Monday, July 14, 2008

Mongolia!

Hey all!!

So, most of you don't know, I'm going to Mongolia this summer! Originally, I was going to India, but the trip was cancelled because the team members couldn't raise enough funds in time. At first, I didn't understand. It seemed like something God would want done. Why did we run into a brick wall? But a few days after I heard the news, the missions pastor emailed me and told me there was one more opening on the team to Mongolia in August. I had raised a little more than half of the needed funds, and he told me I could transfer the funds to the Mongolia trip. I took it.

Basically, I'm letting ya'll know about this because prayer is much needed right now. There are seven of us going, and about half of us don't yet have the funds we need to be able to go. Pray that God will open this door for us, if it is in His will! Below is a copy of the letter I sent out via snail-mail about a week ago. It explains the circumstances, and the basics of what we'll be doing in Mongolia, and our primary purpose:

Dear Family and Friends,

Some of you received my previous letter, which asked for prayer and financial support for a planned mission trip to India this year. I write again to you in order to explain that, in what seemed an unfortunate event, some of my fellow team members were unable to raise enough funds for us to buy the plane tickets needed for the trip. As a consequence, we had to cancel the trip. At first I was quite disappointed. If this trip had been in God’s will, why hadn’t He provided the funds? But then God reminded me that He works all things for the good of those who love Him, to those who are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Shortly after, the missions pastor told me that there is a planned missions trip to Mongolia a bit later this year, in the first part of August. He told me I could transfer all raised funds from the cancelled India trip to the Mongolia one. I guess this is how God worked it for good. J So now I write to you again, and some of you for the first time, to ask for support both in prayer and financially for this mission to Mongolia!

The missions team will be teaching English in a small town in Mongolia. The missionaries we will be working with have been there for about 15 years, making them some of the longest-term missionaries in Mongolia. Fifteen years ago, there were zero known believers in Mongolia. Now, in the town we will be teaching, there is a small church of about 15 people, and there are, of course, other believers in other parts of Mongolia. The team will be teaching two classes: one consisting of doctors and nurses from the local hospital, and one consisting of high school aged students. The English curriculum we’ll be using is designed to raise spiritual questions, without being overtly evangelistic. Our four major goals in Mongolia will be to enhance the reputation of the church and the missionaries in the community, to build friendships with our students, to identify those who seem most interested in spiritual issues (so that we, or the local missionaries can follow up), and of course, if the opportunity presents itself, to share the Gospel message.

Thank you all so much for your financial and prayer support! Through God’s grace, I’ve received over half the needed funds, and trust that God will provide the rest. Thank you for joining with me in this trip, whether it be with finances, prayer, or both. If you haven’t contributed financially and would like to, use the same form and address that was provided in my first letter. Just in case that has been misplaced, the address is below as well. Include my name and “Mongolia Missions Trip” in the envelope, so that they know where it is to go. Again, if you have any questions, concerns, or advice, please call or email me. I’d be happy to hear from you. Finally, please pray that God’s will be done on this trip; it is, after all, His trip, not ours. We are merely His servants and tools; here to serve Him as best as possible until we are called home.

-----------

Last week the team had their first meeting; we went over the basics of the English material we'll be using, some of the culture tips, etc. I'm really excited about this!! Personally, I'll be teaching the high school class alongside one of the dads that is coming. We'll be teaching from a curriculum called "Common Ground". It's designed to teach English in a fun, conversational way.

Please be praying for these few things:

1) For the team's preparation. (Funds, curriculum, etc)
2) For the hearts of the people we will be reaching.
3) For the mission itself! We're leaving the 1st of August and returning the 17th.

Also, we've put together a blog for the trip! It doesn't have much on it yet, but hopefully we'll be posting before, during, and after the trip. www.mongolia7.blogspot.com

Thank you so much!
Go with God,

Brooklin

p.s. Friday was an amazing night down at 3rd Street promenade in Santa Monica. I'll be posting what happened then soon!

No comments: